Thursday 30 September 2010

TAOP - Intro - Exercise 1 - Focal Length and Angle of View

This blog post is in relation to the exercise on page 16 of the OCA Photography 1 - TAOP course material.

This first exercise is all about taking photos of the same scene at different focal lengths. As I live in Burnley in the heart of the Pennines, there are plenty of landscapes with hills in the background, and Pendle Hill is one that stands out on it's own, so I thought this would be a good place to start.

The idea is to take three photographs. One at a wide angle view, one at the furthest telephoto setting, and one at the "standard" focal length, that is when what you see through the view finder is the same as what an unaided eye would see.
I have two telephoto lenses, one 18-55mm and a 55-200mm. I set up the tripod, mounted the camera and started with the smaller lens. I took a shot at 18mm (widest view angle) and then tried to find the "standard". This appeared to be at 55mm, so I took a shot and then fitted the larger 55-200mm zoom lens. Again 55mm seemed to be "standard". I then took a photo at 200mm (furthest telephoto setting).


If the thumbnail links are missing, view full images on the Flicker set for this exercise


TAOP-Intro-Ex1-1     55mm focal length

TAOP-Intro-Ex1-2     18mm focal length

TAOP-Intro-Ex1-3     200mm focal length

No comments:

Post a Comment