Thursday 30 September 2010

TAOP - Intro - Exercise 2 - Focus with Set Aperture

This blog post is in relation to the exercise on Page 17 of the OCA Photography 1 - TAOP course material.


This time I had to find a scene with depth, and one of the suggestions in the course material was a wood full of trees. So despite the miserable damp weather and dull grey light, I marched off to Castle Clough woods, which are about a ten minute walk from my house. After a lot of searching and a bit of trial and error, I eventually found a composition that would show three distinct depths of field (foreground, middle and background).

With my 18-55mm lens, and the camera set to a wide aperture of  f/5.3, I found that I had to get very close to the berries in the foreground. This meant placing the tripod in the middle of a Hawthorn bush, so this turned out to be quite a painful exercise, but I think I got some nice shots.

Out of the three photos, I think the middle focus is the best demonstration of depth of field, but my personal favorite is the foreground focus. I like that the detail is in the corner, and as you look towards the center you can see how the focus changes. It also makes a very good computer wallpaper, it's on my desktop background as I speak.


If the thumbnail links are missing, view full image on the Flickr set for this exercise

TAOP-Intro-Ex2-1     Focus on the foreground

TAOP-Intro-Ex2-2     Focus on the mid-ground

TAOP-Intro-Ex2-3     Focus on the Background

No comments:

Post a Comment